This article is designed to assist you in resolving a no sound issue when connecting your headphones using a wired connection to the audio out on the back of a TV. A wired connection means that the TV is connected directly to the headphones or to a wireless transmitter that communicates to a wireless headphone.
Examples of wired connection method
Wired connection between the headphones and the TV's audio out.
Wired connection between a wireless transmitter and the TV's audio out.
IMPORTANT: If specific information about your TV menu is required to follow the suggestions below, check your TV's manual. For TVs manufactured by Sony, the operating instructions and specifications are available online. For other TV brands, contact the its manufacturer.
Manuals are posted on your model support page.
Check the suggestions below when the headphone outputs no sound while connected to a TV:
Make sure that the audio cable is firmly connected to the audio out port of the TV.
If the headphones have a volume control, set the volume on the source to a high level and use the volume on the headphones to adjust the volume to the desired listening level.
The internal speakers on some TVs must be turned off before the audio out port outputs an audio signal. This can be done through the menu of the TV.
NOTE: The example below are steps that are ONLY applicable when connecting headphones to the AUDIO OUT port of the an Android TV manufactured by Sony and how to turn off the internal speakers.
- On the supplied TV remote control, press HOME.
- In the TV category, select Settings.
- Select Sound.
- Select Headphone/Audio out.
- In addition, the AUDIO OUT jacks on some TVs may have a FIXED or VARIABLE setting. If using the VARIABLE setting, then the volume on the TV may need to be increased. Using a FIXED setting is recommended.
- If you are still not getting sound from the headphones after following the suggestions above, connect the headphones to a different audio device such as smartphone, tablet or computer. If the headphones work correctly with a secondary audio device, there may be a setting that needs to be configured or an issue with the audio out port of the TV.
If the recommendations above do not resolve the issue and sound is not heard when trying a second audio device, service may be required.
For all Sony products (EXCEPT VAIO computers): To send your product to a Sony facility to be repaired or to check the status of the a repair, visit our eService web site.
For VAIO Computer products: Please call 1-888-4SONYPC (476-6972) for service information for your product. To check the status of your VAIO product repair, have your phone number or Best Buy service number available and call 1-800-433-5778.