IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check Applicable Products and Categories for details.
Follow this procedure to troubleshoot sound issues on the computer.
IMPORTANT:If model-specific information is required to complete any of the steps in this solution, refer to the operating instructions supplied with the product. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
NOTE: Because each of these steps represents a possible solution to this issue, check the sound function status after completing each step.
- Restart the computer.
- Check the system volume to make sure the volume is not muted or too low.
- Ensure the volume dial on the left side of the notebook is turned up.
- Connect a set of headphones or amplified speakers to the computer to see if the internal speakers are not working.
NOTE: When headphones are plugged in, there will be no sound through the built-in speakers.
- Ensure the playback device is correctly selected .
- Select a Sound Scheme in Control Panel.
- Reinstall the sound drivers from the Drivers folder on the Driver Recovery CD (DRCD).
- Resolve all conflicts in Device Manager .
- Remove all peripheral hardware to see if it is conflicting with the sound card.
- Reset the BIOS to the defaults settings.
- Use the system restore utility to restore the system back to a point when the sound last worked properly.