IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check the Applicable Products and Categories section of this article before starting these steps.
If a USB device, such as a printer, camera, external Hard Disk Drive (HDD), external Optical Disc Drive (ODD), Walkman® music player or Apple® iPod® mobile digital device, stops working or does not work at all when connected to a USB port on the computer, use the following procedure to troubleshoot the issue.
- Disconnect all USB peripherals.
- Connect different USB devices one at time. If some USB devices work but others don't, the issue is likely with the USB device. Contact the manufacturer of the USB device to ensure it is set up properly.
- If the USB device is connected to a USB hub, connect the device directly to a USB port on the computer. Some USB devices do not work properly when connected through a USB hub.
- Connect the USB device to a different USB port on the computer. If the device works in a different USB port, there may be a hardware failure with the original USB port and the computer may require service.
- Restart the computer in Safe Mode.
IMPORTANT: If the computer is a PCVV or PCVW all-in-one series, do not remove the USB controller. Skip this step of the troubleshooting and continue to step 7.
- While in Safe Mode, remove and reinstall the USB controller through Device Manager.
WARNING: All data, non-bundled applications and settings will be removed from the computer. Back up all data before performing a System Recovery.
- Perform a System Recovery using the VAIO® Recovery software.
IMPORTANT: If model-specific information is required to use the VAIO Recovery software, refer to the operating instructions supplied with the product. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
The troubleshooting steps listed above should resolve your issue. If you have completed all of the steps and the issue is not resolved, service may be required.
For all Sony products (EXCEPT VAIO computers): To send your product to a Sony facility to be repaired or to check the status of the a repair, visit our eService web site.
For VAIO Computer products: Please call 1-888-4SONYPC (476-6972) for service information for your product. To check the status of your VAIO product repair, have your phone number or Best Buy service number available and call 1-800-433-5778.