Follow this procedure to troubleshoot no sound in any application.
NOTE: Because each of these steps represents a possible solution to this issue, check the sound function status after completing each step.
- Restart the computer.
- Check the system volume to make sure the volume is not muted or too low.
- Connect a set of headphones or amplified speakers to the computer to see if the internal speakers are not working.
NOTE: When headphones are plugged in, there will be no sound through the built-in speakers.
- Ensure the playback device is correctly selected .
- Select a sound scheme in Control Panel.
- Reinstall the sound drivers from the Application Recovery CD (ARCD).
- Resolve all conflicts in Device Manager .
- Remove all peripheral hardware to see if it is conflicting with the sound card.
- Reset the BIOS to the default settings.
- Use the System Restore utility to restore the system back to a point when the sound last worked properly.
If the issue is still unresolved, service may be required.
For all Sony products (EXCEPT VAIO computers): To send your product to a Sony facility to be repaired or to check the status of the a repair, visit our eService web site.
For VAIO Computer products: Please call 1-888-4SONYPC (476-6972) for service information for your product. To check the status of your VAIO product repair, have your phone number or Best Buy service number available and call 1-800-433-5778.