If there is no sound coming from the center speaker when playing a DVD, there may be a problem with your connection or there may be an incorrect setting. Follow these steps to try to resolve this issue.
IMPORTANT: Consult the instruction manual if further information is required to perform any of the steps below. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
- Make sure the Mute function has not been activated.
- Check the volume level to verify the sound is set at an acceptable level.
- Try setting the Audio/Video (A/V) receiver to a different Surround Sound mode.
IMPORTANT: Make sure the disc is encoded with Surround Sound audio. If not, the audio will be very difficult to hear using a Surround Sound setting. Set the Surround Sound setting to OFF when viewing discs that are not encoded with a Surround Sound signal.
- Check the speaker wires to make sure they are properly connected to the A/V receiver.
- Perform a test tone function to verify that the speakers are working correctly.
- Verify all external audio sources are securely connected to the appropriate inputs on the A/V receiver.
NOTE: If the audio is being sent from a television to the A/V receiver, then it may be necessary to disable the internal speakers of the TV or set the audio output of the TV to FIXED or VARIABLE. If the audio output of the TV is set to VARIABLE, then you will need to increase the volume level of TV.
- Make sure the correct audio input is selected on the A/V receiver.
- Verify there are no headphones connected.
- Make sure the Demonstration mode is not active.
- Change the ATTENUATE setting.
NOTE: The procedure to change the Attenuate feature varies by model. Check the instruction manual provided with the system for specific information.
- Reset the A/V receiver back to factory specifications.
The troubleshooting steps listed above should resolve your issue. If you have completed all of the steps and the issue is not resolved, service may be required.
For all Sony products (EXCEPT VAIO computers): To send your product to a Sony facility to be repaired or to check the status of the a repair, visit our eService web site.
For VAIO Computer products: Please call 1-888-4SONYPC (476-6972) for service information for your product. To check the status of your VAIO product repair, have your phone number or Best Buy service number available and call 1-800-433-5778.