Follow this procedure to troubleshoot the computer when the sound is distorted, the volume is low, or there is no sound at all.
NOTE: Because each of these steps represents a possible solution to this issue, check the audio status after completing each step.
- Download and install the updated audio drivers available online. Downloads are posted on your model support page.
- Restart the computer.
- Verify that the VAIO® speakers are connected correctly.
NOTE: Some speakers have a separate volume control. Ensure that the volume is turned up to an audible level.
- Attach a set of headphones to see if there is sound through the headphones.
- If there is no sound through the headphones, the speakers may need to be replaced. Go to Parts and Accessories.
- When headphones are plugged in, there will be no sound through the speakers.
- Ensure the system volume is not muted or too low.
- Ensure the Playback device is correctly selected .
- Select a Windows Sound Scheme .
- Resolve all conflicts in device manager including IRQ, DMA and I/O.
- Remove any recently installed peripheral hardware to see if that is conflicting with the sound card.
NOTE: If conflicting hardware is found, contact the manufacturer of that device for further troubleshooting.
- Reset the defaults in BIOS .
- Use the System Restore procedure to restore the system back to a point when the sound last worked properly.