IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check Applicable Products and Categories for details.
Before you start
- Connect your Android TV™ device to the internet.
- For 2015 and or earlier TVs, make sure to pair your Touchpad Remote control to the TV.
- For 2016 and later TVs, pair your IR Remote Control to the TV.
Sample search phrases
The voice search function of the Android TV device allows users to do the following using the optional accessory Touchpad Remote Control or the supplied IR Remote Control.
- Search for content - A list of relevant content and apps will appear on-screen. Here are sample search phrases:
- Romantic comedies
- Movie awards
- Ask questions - Answers will appear on-screen. Here are sample questions.
- Who is the president of Italy?
- What time is it in London?
- What is 24,000 divided by 7?
- Control or operate the TV - The input or app will be activated. Below are sample control commands.
- Open YouTube
Perform voice search
- On your remote control, press the microphone button. The voice search screen will appear on your TV screen.
- Say your voice search after the mic icon on the voice search screen turns red.
A video tutorial on how to use the voice search function is also available for Latin American customers.
- After activation, the voice search function will only stay on for a few seconds before it automatically deactivates. Repeat the steps above if you're unable to speak before the function deactivates.
- Some commands may not work. It's possible that the word or phrase that you used may not be available in the Google™ database. Other phrases or words may be added in the future through a software update.
- The voice search function only supports English, Dutch, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Polish, Russian, Japanese, Korean, and Brazilian Portuguese languages. Other languages may be added in the future through a software update. Downloads are posted on your model support page.
- The voice search function doesn't support web browsing. You will only get contents from the YouTube™ app and the Google Play™ store as results including apps affiliated with Google. Follow the steps below to view apps linked with the voice search function.
- Press the HOME button.
- Select Settings.
- Under System Preferences, select Search.
- Select Searchable apps.
*Google, Android TV, and Google Play are trademarks of Google LLC.